Discussion

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The racial injustice faced by black professionals has been at the forefront this past week. Although there has been some acknowledgement surrounding the inequalities, how do we end the mistreatment and racial inequalities within the workplace?

@257j-ss it shouldn't take what has happened to bring light to the fact there's no black ownership and racist companies have been profiting of us for years.  Why are people only waking up now? Black people have had businesses for years. I hope the support shown now sticks forever and we are able to build.

Quote from Justcause3 on 07/06/2020, 5:02 pm

@257j-ss it's true that we need to invest in our own community but lets be honest the support is terrible. People are only saying they are supporting black businesses now but what about before?

This is true. We don’t support each other as we should... and it’s embarrassing! We need to not give others outside of our race the opportunity to take advantage due to seeing us not supporting each other. I feel like the support is gradual; for example, more people are buying black hair products from direct black hair companies. However, there needs to be a greater  amount of support. Prior to recent events, we have been extremely critical towards each other’s successes. Hopefully this digresses however we are moving in the right direction by realising these downfalls and we can use them to become stronger together.

@257j-ss It shouldn't be gradual when the black spending power in the UK has exceeded £300 billion years ago.
We need black investors or non racist investors to support black entrepreneurship and less petty rivalries amongst ourselves like who has the most liabilities instead of assets.

We can better the next generation is we take things seriously now and we are actually consistent.

We need to speak up in workplace when it happens nip it in bud quickly in a respectful way.

I agree @casspeaks2020 for too long we have suppressed our emotions and allowed the treatment to continue. It shouldn't even have to be respectful but the way they paint us we have to try whilst they can be disrespectful with no consequences.

We do need to speak up and speaking up shouldn’t always result in meaning we are “angry” or “aggressive”. We should be able to speak up respectfully without getting torn down for our emotions. I really hope that these stereotypes are broken down and the mindset of white people changes from being defensive and disrespectful to being thoughtful, empathetic, respectful, considerate and more towards black people.

Quote from Justcause3 on 10/06/2020, 11:49 pm

@257j-ss It shouldn't be gradual when the black spending power in the UK has exceeded £300 billion years ago.
We need black investors or non racist investors to support black entrepreneurship and less petty rivalries amongst ourselves like who has the most liabilities instead of assets.

We can better the next generation is we take things seriously now and we are actually consistent.

This is true. Taking away these petty rivalries and putting the energy into supporting each other will build the future generations. They will learn how to work together and not tear each other down.

There are ways in which we can support each other. For example, sharing and promoting black businesses with others. Even though there may be 100 hairstylists, this doesn’t matter. The fact that hair and beauty will never die, gives us a reason for us to work more together instead of saying things like “I already know someone who does braids...” or “This is too expensive”. Lol, that’s not the point of. Just support. Whether you are supporting financially or not, we are still able to share businesses on social media to those who may like it or want to try something new.